30 September 2005

INDIANA: THE BIRTHPLACE OF COOL



Today marks the 50th anniversary of the death of probably the most famous Hoosier, James Dean. I'm not a fanatic, or a "Deaner" as his die-hard fans call themselves, but I do find it interesting that this Hollywood icon was born and buried only an hour from where I live. My friend Caleb and I drove up to Fairmount this past Sunday for the annual James Dean Festival. First stop was the Fairmount Historical Museum, where we encountered a Parisian camera crew taping a show for French TV. For being a small town in the middle of a cornfield, Fairmount has had some amazing residents. Jim Davis, the creator of Garfield, is also a native. Next stop was Park Cemetery, where we paid our respects at Dean's grave by placing cigarettes and pennies on his headstone. Others had left flowers, beer and even women's underwear. And, finally, we made the short drive to Gas City to visit the James Dean Gallery, an exhibit and archive that contains the world's largest collection of Dean memorabilia. In life, and even moreso in death, he truly is the definition of "cool."

1 comment:

Shane M. White said...

I wish I would have stopped by on my way home from Michigan. I'm REALLY jealous that you got to attend such a cool event. James Dean rocks.

I hope things are going well with your film projects.