29 December 2005

LOVE IS LOVE IS LOVE


Went to the new Landmark Keystone Art Cinema last night to check out Ang Lee's big buzz flick Brokeback Mountain. The film is unique in the fact that it's the first gay love story geared towards wide audiences, as opposed to a just a niche "gay-only" market. Will mainstream America be ready for such a story? It offers fine performances from Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, along with breathtaking scenery and cinematography. It's been a critical favorite, but I'm not so sure that the average red state patriot is ready to see two cowboys canoodling on the Big Screen. Local attendance seemed high. The 8PM show was sold out so I purchased tickets for the 10:15. Walked around the mall a bit while waiting and ran into the always-adorable Kate Dobson in the Apple Store. Kate played Mary in my first film Immaculate, but I haven't seen her in years since she left for school in Michigan. We got caught up and then later I saw her in line for the show. "Good choice," she shouted. I'd have to agree.

No comments: