03 December 2005

MEET JEAN BROWN

I originally posted this on July 2nd, but have bumped it up because several new comments have been recently added. You can also listen to Austin Burbridge's Cinema Minima podcast about the film by clicking here. More can also be found on the sidebar of this site.

My latest project is Persistence of Vision: The Eye-Opening Life of Jean Brown, a documentary which chronicles the trials of a 51-year old woman, blinded at the age of 23, as she works towards her life-long dream of opening and operating her own beauty salon. When I first met her I thought it was strange that a blind woman would want to be in the beauty business; ignorantly assuming it was something only the sighted would have an interest in. But as a former model (see photos below), Jean has always had a love for fashion and style. Her dream is now becoming a reality with the help of her brother Arthur, who acts as her "eyes," as well as generous contributions from Indianapolis contractor Manily "Kip" Darling III, CEO of 22nd Century Builders.



Nearly 75% of non-sighted people in the United States are unemployed; an even higher number lives below poverty level. But Jean and her husband Ron, also blind after a gunshot wound received as a teenager, are hoping to mobilize and inspire other non-sighted people (as well as minorities and women) by their efforts. I've always enjoyed stories about people overcoming obstacles and this film continues in my apparent, albeit unintentional, trend in exploring women and their senses on film. Production is nearing the end. Right now I'm trying to find investors and looking at my grant options so I can get this baby completed. I'll be in Louisville, KY over the 4th of July weekend to interview Dr. Marc Maurer, president of the National Federation of the Blind, at the NFB's 2005 National Convention and then Jeanie's Relaxation Beauty & Barber Spa will have its grand opening later that month. It should then be a wrap and we'll move into post. More updates on POV will be posted here regularly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i heart chad.

love,
matty

Anonymous said...

This looks like it could be a wonderful doc. Jean Brown seems like an amazing lady. Beautiful inside and out.

Anonymous said...

I too did a Google search at work today after reading the article. Such an inspiring woman. I could not ever imagine trying to run my own business if I were blind. Kudos to her and kudos to this filmmaker for sharing her story.

Anonymous said...

How is your project coming along?

Anonymous said...

This is such an inspiring story. I can't wait to see it when it's done.