02 December 2005

REMEMBERING KEY CINEMAS

There have been two places in my life that have had tremendous impact on me and opened my eyes to new people, possibilities and understandings of this thing called life. The first was Lockerbie Coffeehouse, which was torn down a few years back and remains nothing more than a gravel lot on the N.W. corner of College & Michigan east of downtown Indy. During my high school days, it was there that every Thursday night I would drive down from my little bubble in Zionsville for the "Living Poets Society" poetry readings. I continued going there almost on a daily basis while enrolled at IUPUI and took everyone I knew there. It was also where I drafted the first copy of Immaculate. There was such an air of creativity to the place. So many different cultures, attitudes, persuasions and conversations converged in this little run down building that it was impossible to not be inspired. To this day I have yet to find another coffeeshop or spot to write that has had the same effect on me. The second was Key Cinemas, which as of today will no longer be screening arthouse/independent films. I went there religiously to get my fill of non-mainstream cinema. It wasn't a state-of-the-art facility by any means. Sometimes the heat wasn't working and you'd have to stay bundled in a winter coat and hat. A couple of times I was there the generator went out and we had to be refunded our money. Many of the chairs were broken, the ceiling fans were squeaky and, occasionally, the bathrooms were without running water. All that just gave the place character in my opinion. I always said that when I "made it" I would give owner Ron Keedy whatever amount of money he needed to refurbish or relocate. He did so much for me, it was the least I could do. I wish I had "made it" sooner. Ron provided The Film Commune with an Indianapolis Underground Film Festival venue for four years at no cost and let us tape Indie Scene TV interviews there as well. He also opened it up monthly for the Filmmaker's Showcase, allowing budding directors to showcase their films on the Big Screen for free. He even received one of NUVO's Cultural Vision Awards for his efforts and contributions to local moviemakers. Key Cinemas really was more than just a theater to me; it was a place of solace and refuge. I will always look back at my memories and time spent there fondly. She will be missed.

Fellow Indy filmmaker/blogger Shane White has recently written about the closing of the city's other arthouse theater, Castleton Arts. You can check out his blog and read his thoughts by clicking here. And Intake has a story about the two closings in this weeks issue; read "The Fall of The House(s) of Art."

1 comment:

Shane M. White said...

Hey Chad!
THANK YOU for the mention in your blog. It really does suck what's happening in this city, and I doubt Landmark is going to be as approachable as Castleton or Key were. I've heard good things about them, and know a few of the managers there, so only time will tell how corporate they really are.

Thanks again for the mention, you've driven quite a few people to my site these past two days, and I appreciate that.