04 December 2005

A NOT-SO-HAPPY ENDING AFTERALL?



I got a call from Jean last night. She was in tears; saying she was afraid she was going to have to close her business. The spa just isn't getting enough clients and she's afraid she won't be able to make January's rent payment. My heart sank. I've been told that when making a documentary I'm not supposed to get emotionally involved or "act" on my subject, but screw that. How am I supposed to not feel attached when I've been following this woman since April? I've probably spent more time with her this year than I have with much of my own family and friends. It's been a life-changing experience for me and I've learned a lot. I'm involved. I'm attached. And I want my film (her story) to have a happy ending. I stopped by the salon this morning to talk with her. It's been the first time in this entire process that I've seen her cry. Jean is a strong woman who doesn't like to cry. "It makes me seem weak," she said, "and I ain't weak!" She fears that lack of funds for marketing and advertising has been the biggest problem; a common concern for many small businesses. A loan she was hoping to receive was not approved so I told her I'd fast track the documentary and cut a short version first, or even just a promo, to mail to media outlets (including Oprah) to, hopefully, help drum up some business. But time is running short. If you're in the Indianapolis area, and in need of a haircut, facial, manicure or massage, I encourage you to check out Jeanie's Relaxation Beauty & Barber Spa. Gift certificates are also available and make for wonderful holiday gifts (wink wink). Click here for a map and driving directions or call 317-824-0143 to schedule your appointment today.

No comments: